Train to Teach
Training Course Directors Statement on Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion
As AmSAT Training Directors we strive to create diverse, equitable and inclusive training environments. We commit to identifying and changing attitudes, structures, and policies which may be perpetuating inequity and preventing opportunity.
NOTE on F.M. Alexander’s writings:
The books and articles of FM Alexander contain important first-hand accounts of his discoveries and the processes that are the foundation of our work. Certain parts of his writings, however, contain disparaging ideas about people of color, stereotyped ideas of gender, and pseudoscientific socio-cultural evolutionary theories on race. We wholly reject and condemn these ideas. We see them as completely unrelated and unconnected to teaching, learning, and practicing the Alexander Technique. We are working within AmSAT to clarify and expand AmSAT’s repudiation of these portions of Alexander's writings.
We recognize that the Alexander Technique originates from white Eurocentric culture and acknowledge the lack of diversity, equity and inclusiveness inherent in that culture.
Actions we are taking as AmSAT Training Directors:
- Reviewing AmSAT training course teaching materials to ensure equity and opportunity for all regarding race, sex, gender, ability, age, religion, and culture.
- Developing a document providing Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion guidance and resources for AmSAT training courses.
- Cooperating with the Judith Leibowitz Scholarship Fund Committee, which offers BIPOC (Black, Indigenous and People of Color) scholarships for 50% tuition on AmSAT training courses. (judithleibowitzscholarship.org)
- Reviewing the role Alexander’s writings play in AmSAT training courses, training standards, and certification.
- Continuing to evaluate Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion in AmSAT policies, documents, and Bylaws.